This blog chronicles the doings, happenings, random thoughts and various and sundry tidbits of my life. Some are interesting, some are not.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

New radio

It's the last Saturday before the new term starts and I should be getting ready for the new classes I am teaching Monday (What AM I teaching Monday?) But instead I was out buying a new car radio. Last semester my beloved Samantha Jones (white Sebring Convertible) was pronounced terminal by the mechanics. I had to buy a new car in a hurry because I was about to have surgery and then wouldn't be able to get in a car soon. After a frantic weekend of shopping (under 12,000 and a convertible were my requirements) I was able to find a new car. Now I had figured I would probably end up with another Sebring but they had made some changes after my year and I didn't really like the later Sebrings. And then, there on the lot, was another car. A different car. A car at which, if you had described it to me, I would have turned up my nose. But sitting there, with the top down, called to me. An eclectic blue PT Cruiser convertible. With the top down it looks like an old jalopy. I expect Archie and Jughead to climb in or for Frankie Avalon to put his surfboard in the back. I handed over my cash and The Blue Bomber became mine.

So far, despite my lingering sorrow over my beloved Sammy, the Blue Bomber and I have been getting along fine. Our relationship growing deeper and closer with each hair raising drive down I95. But what the Bomber lacks is a good radio. And by good radio I mean one I can play my Ipod on. In Sammy, I had installed an FM transmitter. I plugged it in, flipped a toggle switch under the dashboard (I love toggle switches) and all 9,875 songs were at my fingertips. But The Bomber had no aux input, no way to play my ipod (The LEM). Then to compound the problem, the CD player hasn't been working properly and the CDs kept skipping. I spent the entire Christmas holidays with the one CD that wouldn't skip in the player. I may never listen to Croon and Swoon again. My life has been a musical nightmare.

But for Christmas, my parents gave me an IOU for a new car radio. After two days shopping with my Dad and many trials and tribulations (why don't the Circuit City and Best Buy boys ever just admit they don't know what something means?) I now have a new stereo with Ipod controls BUILT RIGHT IN! I am in heaven.

Christmas is a good thing.

Happy Twelfth Night all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.